The Wardwell's mission began in 1878,
when a group of Saco and Biddeford volunteers formed a corporation for the purpose
of establishing a home for aged women.
In 1881, Mrs. Lydia Wardwell Clapp donated a cottage to the group and it was to be called
"Wardwell Home" in memory of her father. This cottage was to be used for
aged women until a new building could be constructed.
After years of fundraising efforts by volunteers and local churches,
a new "Wardwell Home" opened its doors in 1889.
Over the years, our "Wardwell Home" has grown to a neighborhood of 99 units
in ten buildings, creating a close-knit community.
Today, the Wardwell Home for the Aging, Inc. continues its non-profit mission of
providing a place to call Home, offering affordable, independent and
senior living options for our community's elderly.